Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day One Kayaking in Giacomini Wetlands


Kayaking was really fun when we went going kayaking. I think that I would remember that forever. It was also my first time going kayaking. I also enjoyed going fast with my partner. First we went against the wind and the currents. We saw different types of bugs. After we got off are kayaks to talk and eat when we got back one their were a bunch of grass hoppers all over the kayaks. Then when we got back on we were going with the wind and currents so it was easier but my shoulder started to hurt but it was still really fun i enjoyed going kayaking with the other people from LEAF.

~Emmanuel

As we finally got out of the brush on the opposite way we where suppose to go, we got into the flow of things. True, Kathleen and I were at the back of the group but, we got to take in our surroundings and focus more on the reason we were there, (to study the wetlands.) We pulled up on land and toke a sigh of relief we were aching all over.

~Christa

On Monday, we went kayaking and it was really fun. At first, my partner Christa and I were bad at paddling (mostly because of me). When we finally got to the side of the mountain we were in dead last! On the ride back the wind pushed us and it was a lot easier and more relaxing. Overall, it was a really good (and tiring) day.

~Kathleen

Hi leaf we went to the beach on Wed. And went on a hike on wed. Too and on Tues. Day we went to the sewage system and we took a tour and it smelt really BAD!  On Mon we went kayaking and and on the way the there it felt really long and the way back felt really sort and there were so many bugs ! It was so gross the bugs!

~Stella

Hiking in the morning was my favorite part. I loved seeing all the beautiful plants, flowers, trees, and anything you could think of. We found lots of cool insects and bugs, and species of plants I have never seen or heard of before. On this trip I have learned to really look at every thing I see and just explore every little bug, plant, tree, flower. Along the way Arlo noticed small red and pink eggs on  leaves on a tree. The naturalist who was leading our group, thought we should cut it open and see what kind of living things could be inside. It turned out it was just hard green and white stuff, yet I was still greatly fascinated by this discovery. i found many pretty flowers and made them into a bouquet. i was going to press them in my notebook, but i lost them on he hike back. i had  a great time that day, i hope to have as much fun every day as i did today.

~Ella

3 comments:

  1. hello, what a wonderful experience for these kids. I wish I could have done gross and fun stuff like this when I was 10/11 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience! I especially like the red hard hats, though kissing a banana slug is hard to beat. Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Saturday morning and I'm thinking back on all that we did this week...WOW! I am so inspired by all of you LEAFlets as well as the wonderful people we've met on our journey. I can't wait for next week! Go LEAF!

    ReplyDelete

Cataract Falls Invertebrate Sampling and Water Quality Testing

Steep Ravine trail

Steep Ravine is a beautiful haven for many wonderous animals and plants such as oaks, moss covered bay trees, and dougluas fers. Also there are newts, water spiders, and a variety of birds.
As well as sights there were also sounds. When we stopped by a bridge we mapped the sounds around us.

~Izzy